MapAction is committed to protecting your privacy. This notice explains how we collect, use and process your personal data to ensure you remain informed and in control of your information as a MapAction supporter.
As a supporter you may have donated to MapAction, subscribed to receive communications from us (for example, newsletters, deployment announcements and updates, map updates, notifications of fundraising events and technical events) or be a user of our website.
2. About us
Your personal data (any information which identifies you, or which can be identified as relating to your personally) will be collected and used by MapAction (registered charity 1126727, registered company limited by guarantee 6611408 (England and Wales)) with registered data controller number Z9804998.
We explain how MapAction uses your data below, but any questions you have in relation to this notice or how we use your personal data should be sent to email@example.com or addressed to the Data Protection Lead, MapAction, The Clare Charity Centre, Wycombe Road, Saunderton Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom HP14 4BF.
3. What information we collect
Personal data you provide
We collect data you provide to us. This includes information you give when contacting us or donating. For example:
- personal details (e.g. name, email address, organisation);
- details of your campaign interests and preferences.
Information created by your involvement with MapAction
Your activities and involvement with MapAction may result in personal data being created. This could include details of how you’ve helped us by volunteering or being involved with our campaigns and activities.
If you decide to donate to us then we are required to keep records of when and how much you give and whether or not this was gift-aided.
We anonymously record the behaviour of all visitors on our websites. If you complete a personally identifiable action on one of our websites (for example, subscribing to our newsletters or making a non-anonymous donation) then your browsing habits may also be recorded in an manner that is attributable to you.
We do not use your data for automated decision making or profiling.
Special category data (sensitive personal data)
We do not collect or store sensitive personal data (for example, information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation) about you or our other supporters.
4. How we use information
We only ever use your personal data for the purpose(s) it was collected for:
- marketing and fundraising purposes – we use personal data to communicate with people in order to promote MapAction’s work and to help with its fundraising. This includes keeping you up to date with MapAction news, updates, campaigns and fundraising information.
- administration purposes (to operate our charity and fulfill our humanitarian objectives) – we use personal data to receive and record donations, maintain databases of our volunteers, members and supporters, and to help us respect your choices and preferences around communications and involvement.
We will only use your information for:
- our own legitimate interests (provided your rights don’t override these);
- or with your consent (which you have the right to withdraw at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, if relevant);
- or to comply with a legal obligation.
5. Sharing data
MapAction will never sell or swap your personal data.
We may share personal data with subcontractors and suppliers who provide us with specific services (for example, donation payment providers). These activities will be carried out under a contract which imposes strict requirements on those suppliers to keep your information confidential and secure.
6. How we protect data
We employ a variety of physical and technical measures to keep your data safe and to prevent unauthorised access to, or use or disclosure of your personal information.
Electronic data and databases are stored on secure computer systems and we control who has access to information (using both physical and electronic means). Our staff receive data protection training and we have a set of data protection procedures which all personnel are required to follow when handling personal data.
MapAction does not directly request, store or process financial information related to online donations. The online donations facility on the MapAction website is provided by a third party payment provider (currently the Charities Aid Foundation). Any financial information, such as payment card details or similar financial information is passed directly between the donor and the Charities Aid Foundation, bypassing MapAction’s systems. Such data is secured using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol to encrypt data between the donor’s browser and the Charities Aid Foundation servers. The Term and Conditions binding MapAction and Charities Aid Foundation for this service are available here.
MapAction receives notification from the Charities Aid Foundation of each donation. This includes donated amounts and timestamps and (unless the donor has explicitly selected to make an anonymous donation) contact details provided by the donor.
We cannot guarantee the security of your home computer or the Internet, and any online communications are at the users own risk.
7. Data storage
Where we store information
MapAction headquarters are in the United Kingdom. All paper records are stored within the United Kingdom. Some third party organisations selected by us to provide IT services may require the transfer of electronic records of personal data outside of the European Economic Area. Such services will only be selected by MapAction if we reasonably believe that your data is adequately protected.
How long we store information
We will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long information will be stored depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. For example, if you ask us not to send you marketing emails, we will stop storing your email address for marketing purposes.
8. Your individual rights
We want to ensure you remain in control of your personal data. Part of this is making sure you understand your legal rights, which are follows:
- the right to be informed about the personal information we hold about you;
- the right to access (obtain a copy) of the personal information we hold about you;
- the right to have inaccurate information we hold about you rectified;
- the right to have your data erased or to restrict processing (the right does not apply when there are lawful reasons for the continued processing of the information);
- the right to object to your data being used for direct marketing of profiling;
- the right to personal data you have provided to us (supplied in a common electronic format) which we process automatically on the basis of your consent or the performance of a contract.
Note that there are exceptions to the rights outlined above, and whilst MapAction will always try to respond to your satisfaction, there may be situations where we are unable to do so.
If you would like further information on your rights or wish to exercise them, please email email@example.com or write to: The Data Protection Lead, MapAction, The Clare Charity Centre, Wycombe Road, Saunderton Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom HP14 4BF.
If you are not happy with our response, or you believe your data protection or data privacy rights have been infringed, you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates and enforces data protection law in the UK. Details of how to do this can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
10. Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice will be updated to ensure its remains up to date and accurately reflects how and why we use your personal data. This Privacy Notice was last updated on 05/04/2018.