Volunteers generally need to be proficient with Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and/or databases. In practice, nearly all volunteers have studied GIS or related subject, although a proven record of relevant work experience is also fine. A good understanding of core GIS skills and a willingness to learn and really get involved in delivering the work of the organisation are the most important areas.
- Availability and commitment
- Proficiency in GIS or related subject or equivalent professional experience
- Proficient in core skills of desktop GIS and extensions for data editing, analysis and processing are required (our testing which looks at GIS process involves ArcGIS so some advance familiarity is useful)
- Experience in understanding partner needs and requirements, in particular working with non technical clients
- Information management skills
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheets and databases for data analysis
- Self-motivated and organised
- Adaptable, resilient and solution oriented
- Good team player with leadership experience wherever possible
- Excellent communication skills; listening, speaking and writing
- Languages (particularly French and Spanish)
- Google Earth
- GPS expertise
- Project management experience
- IT and systems administration skills
- Humanitarian knowledge/experience
- Adventure or professional travel experience
- Graphic design/visualisation skills
- Teaching, training or capacity building experience
- Relevant international work experience
- Web mapping – particularly with relevant ESRI products
- Systems administration
- Website design
- Website management
- Radios and satellite communications
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Medical training / advanced first aid
How do I apply?
We are currently recruiting for GIS volunteers who are already based in the Caribbean. To apply, please send us the following:
- A covering letter.
- Your CV – this should include:
- Current work
- GIS/geospatial skills and experience
- Relevant IT/technical skill and experience
- Educational details
- Where you live
- Languages spoken (we are currently seeking French and Spanish speakers)
- Contact details
- A map/ web-map you have made that demonstrates your technical skills for the profile.
Please email this to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 10th March 2019.
If you are unsure if you meet the required skills and qualifications, please don’t hesitate to contact us and speak to a staff or volunteer member.