MapAction is seeking an experienced Finance Manager to join the charity. The full job description and how to apply can be found below and downloaded here – MapAction Finance Manager Job Profile.
|Job title:||Finance Manager|
|Job purpose:||This role leads the charity’s finance and compliance activities. It ensures the appropriate use of the charity’s resources and takes responsibility for its day to day accounting, financial management, management information and financial reporting.|
|Hours:||Full time 37.5 hrs/week. Part time hours can be considered.|
|Location:||MapAction’s offices in Saunderton, Buckinghamshire|
|Salary:||£37,500 – £40,000 per annum (FTE)|
MapAction (mapaction.org) is a leading humanitarian mapping charity. It deploys skilled volunteers to international humanitarian emergencies to map priority needs. This mapped information helps responders target their response effectively, contributing to saving lives and minimising suffering.
MapAction has built a strong reputation in the humanitarian sector and is a technical partner of the United Nations. The charity has attracted funding from UK Government (DFID), the Government of the Netherlands, EU and other major donors. Prince Harry has been the charity’s patron since 2007.
The charity is mid-way through a five-year strategy which aims to double its capacity to respond to humanitarian emergencies. This requires a significant scale-up of income-generating activity and the diversification of donors, with the aim of raising over £1 million by 2019.
This role is responsible to manage the organisation’s financial resources, ensuring these assets are used effectively and accountably in line with the organisation’s charitable purpose.
The main responsibilities include:
Budget management and reporting
- Presentation of the annual budget for Board approval in consultation with the Chief Executive and Treasurer, including ensuring annual quarterly forecasting of planned expenditure.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for the management team and monitoring budget expenditure on a monthly basis with budget holders including monitoring cash flow.
- Preparation of quarterly Board reports for approval and submission by the Treasurer including re- forecasting the budget by agreement with the Chief Executive.
- Preparation of annual accounts for Board approval in consultation with the charity’s auditors, Chief Executive and Treasurer.
Risk management and compliance
- Ensuring MapAction is compliant with UK Law (including in relation to human resource management, payroll, health and safety and statutory filing requirements).
- Maintaining the financial elements of the organisation’s Risk Register and on behalf of the Chief Executive ensuring that all identified mitigation plans across functions are being implemented.
- Overseeing the implementation of audit and ensure the audit trail is in place. This will ensure that standard procedures and policies are implemented and new procedures/policies are introduced where necessary proportional to MapAction’s scale and scope.
- Ensuring the system for asset analysis, managed by the Head of Logistics is supported as required.
Donor contract management
- In coordination with the Fundraising & Marketing Director and Head of Institutional Partnerships, liaising with donors/partners as necessary to expedite fundraising applications, budget preparation, invoice payments, audit and other contract related activities as required.
- Ensuring budget management reflects donor agreements and ensuring systems and procedures achieve accurate, timely cost recovery of pre-financed operations and reporting.
- In coordination with the Finance Assistant (Book Keeper) and Missions Support Director, ensuring all financial obligations (invoices, expenses) are paid in a timely manner and archived.
- Line manage the Finance Officer and task manage the Mission Support Director ensuring their roles and responsibilities are clear and providing them with support and guidance as required.
- Oversee payroll and the implementation of the charity’s pension scheme, ensuring issues are addressed, documentation issued and the charity meets HMRC and other statutory requirements.
- As part of the management team, provide guidance and advice on strategic developments, expansion of deployments, projects and the nature of the business ensuring the resource needs of the organisation are considered fully in planning and risk management.
- Support the development of the charity’s commercial revenue arm as required.
- Provide training to the wider team when required.
- Liaise with premise landlord to ensure lease requirements are met.
- Ensure office administration requirements are met.
- Work with the office team to promote effective knowledge management of roles and responsibilities, and supporting documentation for effective functioning during team members’ absence.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable track record of highly successful financial management and experience working with small charities and limited resources. You will be tenacious, able to manage a busy workload and comfortable working under your own initiative. You are always a team player at heart and a confident leader capable of guiding the organization on all aspects of finance, compliance and risk.
You will draw on your excellent interpersonal skills to be able to target and adapt your approach according to your audience. Excellent communication skills are essential (written and verbal), along with a strong eye for detail.
We are looking for someone with a talent for financial systems management to achieve maximum benefit to the charity. You will need to be supportive of colleagues (staff, trustees and volunteers), committed to the volunteer ethic of the organisation and show sensitivity to the needs of others.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a successful track record in the following areas:
|Core competencies||Essential/ Desirable|
|Professional accounting qualification (ACCA or equivalent)||Essential|
|Extensive financial management experience with charities||Essential|
|Experience in using Xero/Salesforce (or equivalent) software||Essential|
|Knowledge of working within the charity sector on associated compliance and risk management issues.||Essential|
|Experience of budget management, including setting, tracking and reporting on budget performance against plans||Essential|
|Experience of donor reporting and understanding of system requirements to achieve accurate and timely reports.||Essential|
|Strong interpersonal skills||Essential|
|Experience of being a member of a management team and managing personnel||Desirable|
|Experience of and commitment to, working as, or with, volunteers||Highly Desirable|
|Experience of monitoring and reporting value for money||Desirable|
This role is full time (37.5 hours a week).
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK (MapAction is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold appropriate permissions).
- The job holder will be required to work from the offices in Saunderton.
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours including evening and weekends is necessary. Volunteer training events are scheduled at weekends, once a month and this post will need to attend these events periodically.
Equal Opportunities Policy
MapAction is an Equal Opportunities employer. All employees have a personal responsibility to promote and support measures designed to create a working environment which is free from harassment or discrimination on the grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, membership of the Traveller community or HIV & AIDS status.
How to apply
Please provide a CV and covering letter that sets out how you meet the required competencies for the role and your interest in this position. Please submit to Liz Hughes, Chief Executive firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 9.00am on Tuesday 30 May. Interviews will be held on Thursday 8 June. For further discussion regarding the content of this role, please call Liz Hughes, Chief Executive on 01494 568 899.